Thursday, July 17, 2008

Basic Itinerary

The trip went as follows:

We flew into Guangzhou (Southern). Spent four days visiting relatives on my mom's side of the family and visiting the my grandfather's birthplace, the house my great grandfather built, the medical school that my grandfather started, and the cemetery containing the graves of my great, great grandfather. We also did some sightseeing and some shopping.

Next, we flew into Beijing (Northern) and played tourist for three days and visited the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Great Wall, attended the Peking Opera, and, of course, did some shopping.

We then flew into Huangshan (One hour flight southwest of Shanghai) and visited the Yellow Mountains. Accessible by foot, you have to take a cable car, then hike for an hour to get to the hotel -- no roads! All food is hand carried through the use of porters, highly muscular Chinese men that carry hundreds of pounds of noodles, soft drinks and meat up on their back. It is an amazingly beautiful place.

Shanghai (East Coast) was our last stop, where we attended a showing of the famous Shanghai Acrobats before spending our remaining time with my dad's side of the family. Two days before we arrived one of my aunts passed away (my dad's oldest sister). We visited her home and paid our respects. Then we had a large family reunion atop one of Shanghai's many skyscrapers.

No comments: